Thursday, October 17, 2013

College football season spawns updates to my '55 All-American set

I suppose it's only natural that my custom/fantasy card making has a seasonal aspect. 

I tend to focus on baseball subjects during the spring and summer and football cards in the fall and winter.


Lately I've had some good fortune in finding some excellent photos of former college and pro stars in their collegiate days, so I'm planning on creating some additions to my "updating" of the venerable 1955 All-American set.

When I saw this photo, I couldn't resist putting together an AA card for Green Bay Packers star Jerry Kramer, who many consider to be the best player who is not in the pro football Hall of Fame. Ironically, the HoF named Kramer to its All-1960s Team and the NFL selected him for its 50th Anniversary All-Time Team.

Vince Lombardi counted on Kramer pulling out of his right guard position to lead the famed Packers sweeps that were integral to the team's success in the early- to mid-1960s. Of course he is best remembered for "the most famous block in NFL history," clearing the way for Bart Starr to score the winning touchdown in the Dec. 31, 1967, "Ice Bowl" to defeat the Dallas Cowboys for the NFC Championship.

I remember reading his book Instant Replay, chronicling that 1967 season, when it was enjoying its 37-week run on the New York Times best-seller list.

Ironically, considering how many games Kramer lost to injuries, or simply played hurt, he remains in good health today at age 77. It would be great if the Hall of Fame's Seniors Committee would see fit to recognize Kramer with induction while he's still here to enjoy the honor.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments, criticism, additional information, questions, etc., are welcome . . . as long as they are germane to the original topic. All comments are moderated before they are allowed to appear and spam comments are deleted before they ever appear. No "Anonymous User" comments are allowed.