Saturday, January 4, 2014

1956 Topps-style Bart Starr custom card


One of my childhood favorite football card issues was 1956 Topps. I'm always looking for an opportunity to replicate that format in my custom card creations.

The recent discovery on eBay of an early photo of Starr with the Packers gave me the impetus to create a custom '56-style card. It's my take on what Topps might have done if they had done a rookie-year card for the future Hall of Famer.

Because of the small size of their football card sets in the 1950s, Topps was not real aggressive in putting untried rookies on its checklists in that era. 

This is my second Bart Starr custom card. Some years back I created an All-American style card of Starr as an Alabama quarterback. Actually I did two such cards. My first utilized a full-length posed action photo that I was not entirely satisfied with. I late replaced that picture with a portrait pose. 

My 1956-style Starr card is the third I have done in that design. My earlier efforts were Johnny Unitas and Max McGee.

I'll be on the lookout for contemporary photos that I can develop into other '56 customs.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments, criticism, additional information, questions, etc., are welcome . . . as long as they are germane to the original topic. All comments are moderated before they are allowed to appear and spam comments are deleted before they ever appear. No "Anonymous User" comments are allowed.