Monday, September 5, 2011

Alternative 1955 Topps-style Koufax rookies

In my posting of Aug. 26, I presented an alternative look at what a 1957 Topps Sandy Koufax card might have looked like if the gum company had chosen to use a posed-action photo rather than the iconic close-up portrait that is one of the set's most sought-after cards.

Today, I want to unveil my alternative custom card version of the 1955 Topps Sandy Koufax rookie card.

While the portrait and action photos that I used weren't available to Topps in 1955, they were part of the Topps' archives; the photos probably having been taken in 1957.

It is a little known fact that the photo of Koufax on the dugout steps that appears on the right of the "real" Topps rookie card of 1955 was airbrushed to remove the Pittsburgh Pirates uniform he was wearing at the time he was photographed during a tryout with the Bucs.

For Brooklyn Dodgers fans, I think the "looking-in" photo on my customs is more pleasing.

You might not realize it, but all the Brooklyn Dodgers cards in 1955 Topps utilized the yellow background fade. Other than the Phillies (blue), they are the only team so uniformly presented. All other teams have a mix of at least two of the four background colors.

When I envisioned creating an alternative version of the Koufax rookie, I decided that, besides the yellow background, I'd see what it looked like with one of the other colors. I didn't think that blue would work too well because of the color of the Dodgers cap, and the red background would camouflage the Dodgers logo. I like the green background.

One of the nice things about making alternative customs is that not too much time is required to do the back. With only a few minor changes to insure that my customs aren't confused with genuine Topps products, the backs that appeared on the original cards can be readily adapted for printing my customs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments, criticism, additional information, questions, etc., are welcome . . . as long as they are germane to the original topic. All comments are moderated before they are allowed to appear and spam comments are deleted before they ever appear. No "Anonymous User" comments are allowed.