Thursday, February 14, 2013

Second Staubach college custom created -- ERROR PHOTO CORRECTED



UPDATE: Feb. 14, 2013 
This is a first for me . . . at least as far as I know.

I have been reliably informed by a fellow custom card guy, Steve at www.thecowboysguide.com, that the photo on my 1955-style Staubach card is not Roger Staubach but is actually Craig Morton.

When I created my custom, as explained below, I had used a transparency identified as Staubach by Henry Yee, a respected expert and purveyor of sports and other historic photos. 

I have now created a "corrected" version of my Staubach custom. 

Original blog entry of Dec. 29, 2012
In the past 8-9 years I've created more than 145 college football custom cards in the style of one of my childhood favorites, the 1955 Topps All-American set.

You might be wondering why I'm just now getting around the making a Roger Staubach card.


I'd have made one long ago except for the fact that I chose Staubach for my first non-1955AA football custom. The first time I saw the Oct. 18, 1963, Time magazine cover with an artwork portrait of the Navy quarterback, I knew it would be a great basis for a 1952 Bowman-style custom card. I used the 1952 Bowman George Halas card for the background of my custom.

With a Staubach card under my belt, I never felt a pressing need to create another one in the 1955 design. That is, until I saw a really nice portrait photo of Staubach in the recent Henry Yee auction series on eBay. The image was on a 4" x 5" Kodachrome transparency. While I wasn't the successful bidder (it sold for a very reasonable $26.88), I was able to lift the image from the auction listing.

After doing some color correcting, I was able to drop it into my 1955 All-American template. Because of the narrow orientation of the picture, I had to use a vertical format for my custom.

I always liked the Navy logo that Topps used on two of its original All-Americans, so that was also a factor in my decision to create a new Staubach card.

Because I had done such a great job writing the back for my 1952 Bowman custom, it was only a matter of judicious editing to produce the back copy for my '55.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments, criticism, additional information, questions, etc., are welcome . . . as long as they are germane to the original topic. All comments are moderated before they are allowed to appear and spam comments are deleted before they ever appear. No "Anonymous User" comments are allowed.