Saturday, July 26, 2014

Another Chuck Noll custom, 1956 Topps style


In this space on June 20 I presented my custom 1954 Bowman-style custom card of Hall of Fame Steelers coach Chuck Noll when he played for the Cleveland Browns.

I mentioned that I had more than a half-dozen scans of Noll from his playing days.

When I chose the '54B format for my Noll custom, I hadn't really intended to create more than one "card that never was." 

However, as sometimes happens, a visualization of a different Noll card kept haunting me. 

Last weekend I decided to do a second Noll custom, in the manner of 1956 Topps. I've mentioned before that '56T is one of the favorite football sets from my childhood, so I didn't need to stretch too far to make this card.

Noll is pictured on my custom in Cleveland's home brown jersey. Veteran vintage football card collectors may recall that all of the original 1956 Topps Cleveland Browns player cards -- there are nine of them -- show the players in their white away uniforms. 

As a nod to that tradition, I converted the photo I was using to a white jersey. It was more work than I expected; I can't seem to find a "reverse colors" button in my Elements 11.0 software. Because I've got nothing but time, and I view it as a learning process, I persevered and got the job done. 

There is another difference between my custom and "real" 1956 Topps football cards. On all of the '56s I've created (Unitas, McGee, Starr, Morrall), I've included a career-highlight cartoon on the back; genuine '56T had generic trivia cartoons not specific to the player.

With both a '54B and a '56T Chuck Noll custom under my belt, I don't think I'll feel compelled to do any others.




1 comment:

Your comments, criticism, additional information, questions, etc., are welcome . . . as long as they are germane to the original topic. All comments are moderated before they are allowed to appear and spam comments are deleted before they ever appear. No "Anonymous User" comments are allowed.