Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Tiger tobacco Ty Cobb fantasy card

As you have seen in my blog over the past five years, most of the custom cards I create are in classic baseball and football card formats, featuring players who could have been -- but weren't -- included in those card sets.

I recently departed from that convention with a card that is pure fantasy.

Some time ago I discovered a photograph of Ty Cobb wearing sunglasses. It looks to me like Cobb was later in his career when that portrait was made. It seems a shame that the image never appeared on a contemporary Cobb card.

Normally I would have attempted to match that photo with a card format from the mid-1920s, but Cobb was included in all of the important card sets back then, at least those that I could think of.

So I went totally out of the box and created a fantasy card of Ty Cobb in a Tiger tobacco set.

Non-sports card collectors may know that Tiger tobacco (a Lorillard brand) actually did issue cards, but they were 1880s actress series. I used an original Lorillard Tiger card as a template for my fantasy, right down to trying to visually replicate the pebbled-texture surface on front and the contact tobacco stains on back. I made my card is the same 2-1/4" x 3-1/2" size as the 1880s Tiger card.

The opportunity to put a great Ty Cobb photo on a "Tiger" card proved irresistible and you can see the result here.

There are probably some anachronisms on my card's back. While I don't attribute a date to my fantasy Cobb card, the picture of an aging Cobb would suggest 1920s. I really don't know what a 2-oz. package of scrap sold for in the '20s; my card says a nickel. Since the use of cards as premiums had become obsolete by the 1920s, I also don't know if the law required printing the name of the issuing factory, but I put it on my card. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments, criticism, additional information, questions, etc., are welcome . . . as long as they are germane to the original topic. All comments are moderated before they are allowed to appear and spam comments are deleted before they ever appear. No "Anonymous User" comments are allowed.