Friday, March 1, 2013

Photo is blast from the past


The other day I was surfing eBay with the key word search of "Lemke." I do this once in a while to see if there are any interesting collectibles connected with the family name.

I once bought a 1953 Dixie Ice Cream lid of Enos Slaughter with advertising on the back from Lemke's Dairy in Wausau, Wis. I've also picked up several patent medicine items from the turn f the century with the Lemke name attached.

Naturally, during the late 1990s and early 2000s I collected Mark Lemke cards and memorabilia. I still enjoy checking eBay to see what items I missed back then. I no longer collect them, having packed it all up and sent it to his mother nearly a decade ago.

Then there are always a few items associated with Gerhard Lemke, who was a World War II German fighter pilot and much-decorated ace. He's no relation but someday I might pull the trigger on an art print or a model plane. 

Also no relation is Donald Lemke, who in recent years has become prominent as a comic book and graphic novel author. 

There are always a lot of listings for the many editions of baseball card, coin and paper money books I wrote while with Krause Publications 1974-2006.

In my most recent search, I was surprised to find a picture of myself among the thousands of listings of sports photos from eBay seller tribunephotos. 

The image is a 1984 UPI wirephoto showing me standing in front of an uncut sheet of 2nd Series 1957 Topps baseball cards that I used to have hanging in my office.

What's even more surprising is that I have no real recollection of the photo or the article that apparently accompanied it. It WAS nearly 30 years ago, and in that heyday of baseball card popularity I did a lot of interviews with the general media.

The caption reads, "Bob Lemke is 35 and still collecting the baseball cards he first treasured as a child. "I'm getting paid to play in my hobby," said Lemke, who is editor of Baseball Cards magazine."

I wish I still had that uncut sheet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments, criticism, additional information, questions, etc., are welcome . . . as long as they are germane to the original topic. All comments are moderated before they are allowed to appear and spam comments are deleted before they ever appear. No "Anonymous User" comments are allowed.