Friday, March 15, 2013

Three '49 Dodgers also shared bithday


In my blog entry on Feb. 11, I mentioned the statistical anomaly of three players on the 1950 Philadelphia Phillies sharing the same birthday.

Perhaps that really isn't so rare, as I recently found out that three members of the Brooklyn Dodgers in that era also shared a birthday.

I wrote this is my original blog . . . 

While the math is way over my head, I learned years ago that the odds of two people sharing a birthday are about 50% for a group of 23, about 95% for a group of 50 and over 99% for a group of 60 persons.

There's tons of related math stuff on the internet, but I could not easily find the odds of three persons sharing the same birthday.


The Dodgers who shared the birthday of Dec. 13 were: George Shuba (1924), Carl Erskine (1926) and Billy Loes (1929).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments, criticism, additional information, questions, etc., are welcome . . . as long as they are germane to the original topic. All comments are moderated before they are allowed to appear and spam comments are deleted before they ever appear. No "Anonymous User" comments are allowed.