Sunday, June 21, 2009

New Custom Card : 1966 Philadelphia Brian Piccolo


I have completed my second (and final) football-card-that-never-was of 1960s Bears running back Brian Piccolo.

For this card, I chose a photo that appears to have been taken in the same session as the picture that Topps actually used on Piccolo's only "real" football card, in the 1969 Topps set.

I put the photo into the context of a 1966 Philadelphia Gum Co. card. I could have used the 1966 Topps "television" style format, but in 1966, Topps only had the license to produce cards for the American Football League players; Philadelphia had the contract for the NFL.

In making custom cards utilizing designs of the classic baseball and football cards of the past, I have found the easiest way to create my template is to scan an actual card from the desired set.

Generally a low-grade common card will do for that purpose. I often chose a card from the same team as the one I'm going to make, so I have correct team logos, color schemes, or whatever else might be a team variable in a particular set.

That's one of the advantages of living in the internet age, I can shop for an examplar card on eBay, or one of several sites that specialize in the selling "commons," and have what I need in a few days or a week.

I scan the card I use for my model at 300 dots-per-inch, and then spend a lot of time cleaning up the resulting image. Because vintage cards were printed in a four-color offset process, the registration between the colors on the finished card was not always perfect, so I use my PhotoShop Elements program to clean things up. While this can easily take several hours per card, for me it is an enjoyable part of the card-creation process. This is, after all, my hobby, and I want to be extra particular (anal, actually) in how the card will appear when all is said and done, it is my choice.

Here's an example of my clean-up efforts. The NFL logo shield at left is the way it appeared on the Jhonny Unitas card I scanned as my model. You can see the red and yellow ink are slightly off-register and the stars are fuzzy. By moving hundreds (thousands?) of individual pixels around I was able to create a much crisper image for my Piccolo card.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments, criticism, additional information, questions, etc., are welcome . . . as long as they are germane to the original topic. All comments are moderated before they are allowed to appear and spam comments are deleted before they ever appear. No "Anonymous User" comments are allowed.