Thursday, August 30, 2012

Note to blog spammers: Give it up!

For the past several months I've been getting as many as three "comments" on my blog, all from "Anonymous" and all trying to spam this site.

Here's one that came this morning:

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Print run on '51 Cardinals postcards revealed": 

I'm excited to discover this site. I wanted to thank you for ones time for this wonderful read!! I definitely liked every little bit of it and I have you book marked to look at new information in your web site.
Here is my web page : XXXXXXXXXXX.

These comments are usually written in English-as-a-second-language and all include a link to another web site. 

Lord only knows what they are trying to sell you on those sites, or what viruses you'd be exposed to if you clicked their links. 

Fortunately, when I began this blog more than three years ago, I opted for the feature that requires all comments to be reviewed by me before they are posted.

I'd learned to do that from the experience of a friend whose blog on the Sports Collector's Digest web site was constantly bombarded by the ravings of a self-appointed hobby savior.

This is just another sad example of people misusing the internet to try to get over on their fellow man.

Rest assured that I'll continue to try to protect my readers from anything more harmful than my own ramblings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments, criticism, additional information, questions, etc., are welcome . . . as long as they are germane to the original topic. All comments are moderated before they are allowed to appear and spam comments are deleted before they ever appear. No "Anonymous User" comments are allowed.