Wednesday, February 3, 2016

New Rails & Sails custom: "Abraham Lincoln"



I've just completed another custom card in the 1955 Topps Rails and Sails format. It depicts the 1930s Chicago-St. Louis inter-city passenger train "Abraham Lincoln."

Production of this distinctively different outfit was subsidized by the U.S. Public Works Administration during the Depression.

The back of my card is really just a 1950s snapshot of the train's origins. Tracing its history all over the internet is a convoluted route. The "Abe" was reconfigured a number of times between 1935 and the 1960s, especially after the Alton Railroad was sold to the Gulf, Mobile & Ohio in 1947.

Still, I enjoy losing myself for an afternoon researching the great old streamliners of my youth.

There will be more along these lines as the winter wears on.




2 comments:

  1. Beautiful,are copies of this and others of your creation available? If so, how does one go about that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I am not currently physically producing my custom cards due to limitations on my manual dexterity. Please see my blog entry of Dec. 13, 2015.

      Delete

Your comments, criticism, additional information, questions, etc., are welcome . . . as long as they are germane to the original topic. All comments are moderated before they are allowed to appear and spam comments are deleted before they ever appear. No "Anonymous User" comments are allowed.