Sunday, June 10, 2012

I always liked Emlen Tunnell: Part 2

The more I read contemporary accounts of Emlen Tunnell's Hall of Fame career, the more I admire him.

As I said yesterday, that admiration caused me to add a couple of Tunnell-as-Packer cards to my opus of custom cards.

The latest is in the style of 1961 Fleer. Such a card would have likely been the end of the line as far as Tunnell's football cards went, as he retired after that season.

I guess we'll never know why Fleer's art department chose to present the Packers logo in mirror image, creating a backwards Wisconsin state map and left-handed quarterback. While it would have been easy enough to correct that error, I chose not to.

I did, however, elect to pick up the stadium photo background that was on all except one of the eight Green Bay cards in the original set.

Here is an article I found in the Nov. 7, 1951, issue of The Sporting News; it help explain why I was such a fan of Emlen Tunnell.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments, criticism, additional information, questions, etc., are welcome . . . as long as they are germane to the original topic. All comments are moderated before they are allowed to appear and spam comments are deleted before they ever appear. No "Anonymous User" comments are allowed.