Monday, January 14, 2013

Football cards for Corso and Herbstreit


Like many of you I enjoy watching the ESPN College GameDay show on Saturday mornings. The easy byplay of hosts Kirk Herbstreit and Lee Corso sometimes make you forget that these guys are dispensing a good deal of solid information and analysis.

 Years ago when I made my 1955 Topps All-American style card of Burt Reynolds he suggested to me that I should make a similar card for Lee Corso. At that time I wasn't aware that Corso had also played football at Florida State and had been a roommate of Reynolds.

A Corso card kind of got pushed to the back burner as I didn't think a decent photo would be available. Recently, though, I decided to see what I could find and I came away with a perfectly suitable FSU publicity picture.

As well-known as Corso is, finding enough information to write up the card back was easy. Here's one website I found particularly useful: http://nolefan.org/football/corso_lee.html .

Similarly, there was plenty of information on the net about Kirk Herbstreit, and good color photos were plentiful. 

Besides Herbsreit's GameDay work, I especially enjoy the NBC Saturday night games when he is doing play by play. Brent Musberger . . . not so much.

I've been on quite a roll this winter building up my "Third Series" of All-American cards. I've got several more in the works that I'll be sharing here as they are completed.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments, criticism, additional information, questions, etc., are welcome . . . as long as they are germane to the original topic. All comments are moderated before they are allowed to appear and spam comments are deleted before they ever appear. No "Anonymous User" comments are allowed.