Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Gifford tribute in my '55 All-American customs


Until the other day, it never registered that my on-going series of 1955 Topps-style All-American college football custom cards did not include one of the biggest stars of the 1950s: Frank Gifford.

While many folks today know Gifford only for his Emmy-winning role on Monday Night Football and his other TV sports broadcasting of the Olympics, etc., I grew up watching the N.Y. Giants star runner/receiver on our black-and-white TV.

Gifford had a career-contemporary college card, of course. His "rookie" card pictured him with USC and presented his college stats in the 1952 Bowman "College to Pro" set.

At some point in the future, when I've completed by 200-card '55-style series, if I had not included a Frank Gifford card, I believe I'd of felt my efforts were not complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments, criticism, additional information, questions, etc., are welcome . . . as long as they are germane to the original topic. All comments are moderated before they are allowed to appear and spam comments are deleted before they ever appear. No "Anonymous User" comments are allowed.