Saturday, December 21, 2013

Timely rerun of my Phil Robertson custom card

Because he's been much in the news lately, I thought I'd rerun my blog entry Sept. 26 announcing my custom card of Duck Dynasty patriarch Phil Robertson for those who may have missed it

*  *  *

About this time last week I learned for the first time that Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson had played college football.

Less than 24 hours later, I had created the card you see here as an addition to my updating of the venerable 1955 Topps All-American football series.

If you want to learn about Robertson's days at Louisiana Tech, I recommend this web site:
http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/fandom/post/_/id/18740/how-good-was-phil-robertson-at-football


That site, and a few others, gave me all the information I needed to create my card's back.

A google search turned up a few images, including the portrait I used. 

That was actually my second choice.

There is a very nice posed action college publicity photo of Robertson widely available on the internet, but when I downloaded it, I found it be too low in resolution to be practical. My efforts to colorize the action photo were atrocious.

The fact that the portrait photo was cut off quite close to the neck made it necessary for me to create the card in vertical format and resulted in the largest player picture I've used on any of my custom '55-style cards. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments, criticism, additional information, questions, etc., are welcome . . . as long as they are germane to the original topic. All comments are moderated before they are allowed to appear and spam comments are deleted before they ever appear. No "Anonymous User" comments are allowed.