Saturday, November 7, 2009

I've been a slug

I have really been slacking off in my custom card creations. It has been six or eight weeks since I've completed a new card. I've been doing bits and pieces on several on-going projects, but haven't completed anything new.
Part of the problem was a computer change. The power supply on my old computer just crapped out. I've got a new unit up and running now, but the set of fonts that I have been relying on for my card creations for the past 5+ years was compromised. Now, each time I need to resurrect one of my old favorite fonts, I have to schlep to the office and download it from my old, old laptop, then bring it home and upload it on the new computer.
I ran into that again this morning as I was working on a 1969 Topps-style rookie card of Steve Garvey. So, I'll have to halt production on the front of the card until I get a particular font family installed.
I thought I'd share with you a bit of Photoshop manipulation I used for the pictutre on the 1969 Garvey. For the past six month or a year, the images that Topps puts on eBay of the vintage transparencies they sell from their "vault," have carried a watermark. It makes "borrowing" an image for making a card somewhat more difficult, but not impossible. With a couple of hours of noodling on Photoshop, I've been able to eliminate the watermark, or at least minimize it to the point it's not visible on the finished card.
I thought I'd share a before and after look at the Garvey photo I'll be using. Besides getting rid of the Topps logo, I've added a bit of brighter blue to the sky.
I'll be sure to share the final results here when I'm done . . . hopefully by the end of the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments, criticism, additional information, questions, etc., are welcome . . . as long as they are germane to the original topic. All comments are moderated before they are allowed to appear and spam comments are deleted before they ever appear. No "Anonymous User" comments are allowed.